Friday, June 27, 2008

Summertime At Last

So I woke up this morning in a funk (and not because I haven't showered in two days). I had a fear that my alarm clock wouldn't go off so I was waking up every two hours to check the time. Finally, at 6, I decided not to go back to bed. This week has been very stressful. I got back from New Orleans late Saturday night. Sunday was spent unpacking, developing pictures, and talking to Growth Group. Monday I had class in the morning, chaperoned my boss's sons field trip, then class again in the evening. Tuesday work all day. Wednesday class in morning, work, class in evening. Thursday work all day then class. I just couldn't face the day this morning. I needed EMILY time. So I called my boss (who is the world's greatest) and told her that I wouldn't be in. As I laid in bed I started thinking about Milah's blog about her front porch. I knew exactly what I needed to do with my day. So I grabbed a broom and started sweeping!
Doesn't sound like too much fun for a day off, but it needed to be done. Our front porch gets put away every winter. The furniture that fills it is very aged and needs a lot of TLC. So every mother's day we get everything out, hose it down, and piece it back together. For some reason that didn't get done this year. I was always too busy to help. Amy was never in town the same time Mom was. And so on....

As I unpacked everything from the block garage and hauled it up to the house, I start smiling. I've always been jealous of those people who remember everything. Everytime I start to think I have no childhood memories God throws something at me to spark it. Like the hideous yellow elephant table with removable top. I used to carry that thing around the porch and take everybody's orders. Then go inside to prepare the "food". Or the wicker chairs that I wanted to paint one year, but Grandma insisted that "ALL the wicker was to remain white!"
After the windows are cleaned, carpets vaccummed, and WHITE wicker is dusted, I stare at the finished product. It looks the same as it did the first time I ever laid eyes on it. Summer has begun and my funk is gone.



4 comments:

Mommy pfohl said...

So glad you were able to put summer "together" today. What a great story too! -mindy

Kris Sorensen said...

I just found your blog this evening (thank you Mindy). I look forward to getting to know you better by reading your blog posts. Have fun with it!

Unknown said...

I love it!!!

Your porch is beautiful!!! Love the white wicker!!

I'm glad I have some influence on someone....I wish I had done that to Crayton years ago when it came to cleaning his room!

Irun Man said...

Isn't it wonderful that when we need alone time and rest God puts us to work, moving our bodies while He touches our minds to bring peace and relaxation? Looks great! (But does that wicker need painted?) LOL